The Raquette River Road intersects NY 56 just east of
the bridge across the Raquette River in South
Colton. Near the end of the section of this road that
parallels the South Colton Reservoir, there is a
powerplant. Just before this facility there is a
sign indicating river access.
||N 44° 31'
||Northeast of South
|Length of hike:
This is stretch of river is an officially named rapids and is
indicated on topographical maps. The access to the river from
the signs is quite easy, but it comes out downstream of the rapids
and you are unable to see them. On the day of our visit, we
did not bring our waders, so we were unable to ford the stream that
joins the Raquette there. Perhaps on another trip, we will
do that. Otherwise, this stretch is only accessible by water
because the property on the south side of the river is private
and posted by the power company and the other side of the river
private and relatively remote.
The dam at this site holds back a region known as Five Falls
Reservoir. The Five Falls dam was built by the Niagara Mohawk
Power Corporation and was completed in 1955. At one time,
there was a waterfall in this area called Five Falls. Although
it is still an officially named waterfall on the USGS GNIS data
base, it is a historical waterfall. It was flooded over when
this dam was constructed.
The Raquette River empties into the St. Lawrence River in Massena,
Last update: August 13, 2016