This location is upstream from Fullerville Falls and
probably only accessible by water. We are looking
into the possibility of land access.
||Southeast of Gouverneur
|Length of hike:
While doing research, we discovered a clause in the historical
booklet Town of Fowler ... Bicentennial History ...
1807-2007. From page 12 of that document, "A
few rods north of the bridge at the foot of the rapids is the
site of the fire-destroyed Ontario Talc Mill, while a short
one-fourth mile above the natural dam is a water power upon
which the late Chester Sprague erected a mill for the
manufacture of lumber and shingles. A short distance south
reaches what was known as the Hazelton Falls upon which was
operated a shingle mill. A bit farther upstream is a power
site known to earlier settlers as Hill Falls. A short
space further in the same direction appear Mill Falls so called
by reason of a mill being located there." In cooperation
with Karen Simmons, Fowler Town Historian, we are continuing to
look into this, but at this point we believe that this "natural
dam" referred to is actually Fullerville Falls.
Satellite images of the area shows two drops very close
together. We believe that these are Hill Falls and Mill
We have been given information that at some point in the past,
Hill Falls and Mill Falls were known collectively are
We have provided a Google Maps image of where we feel these
waterfalls are located. Hill Falls is the one in the
center of the image and Mill is in the lower right.
The Oswegatchie River flows into the St. Lawrence River in
Ogdensburg, New York.
Last update: July 19, 2017