Northern New York Waterfalls 

Fullerville Upper Falls


From NY 11 in Gouverneur, drive east on NY 58 for nine miles.  At that point, take a right on CR24 and drive about 1.4 miles.  Park after crossing the bridge.

County: St. Lawrence
Town: Fowler
USGS Map: Edwards
Waterway: Oswegatchie River West Branch
Latitude: N 44° 15' 51"
Longitude: W 75° 20' 21"
Drop: ~12'
Type: Curtain cascade
Region: Southeast of Gouverneur
Parking: Roadside
Trail type: Roadside
Length of hike: Roadside
Difficulty: Roadside
Accessibility: Public
Name: Unnamed

Edwards Quadrangle

The directions in the side-bar technically take you to the roadside view of Fullerville Falls.  There are a number of other small waterfalls upstream from this point.  This falls, which we have tentatively named Fullerville Upper Falls for cataloging purposes, is the only of these falls that can be seen from the highway.  The rest have to be accessed by water.  As with Fullerville Falls, this one is technically unnamed.  We have been notified that collectively, Fullerville Falls and Fullerville Upper Falls were once known locally as Twin Falls.

As the picture shows, this is a curtain cascade.  It is about 1000' upstream from Fullerville Falls.  This photo was taken with a 300 mm telephoto lens from a distance of a little over 1400'.

While doing research, we discovered a clause in the historical booklet Town of Fowler ... Bicentennial History ... 1807-2007.  From page 12 of that document, "A few rods north of the bridge at the foot of the rapids is the site of the fire-destroyed Ontario Talc Mill, while a short one-fourth mile above the natural dam is a water power upon which the late Chester Sprague erected a mill for the manufacture of lumber and shingles.  A short distance south reaches what was known as the Hazelton Falls upon which was operated a shingle mill.  A bit farther upstream is a power site known to earlier settlers as Hill Falls.  A short space further in the same direction appear Mill Falls so called by reason of a mill being located there."  In cooperation with Karen Simmons, Fowler Town Historian, we are continuing to look into this, but at this point we believe that this "natural dam" referred to is actually Fullerville Falls.

A search of a map of the area, circa 1865, reveals a C. H. Sprague property adjacent to Fullerville Upper Falls.  If further research supports what we currently believe, we will consider changing this to Sprague Falls.

The Oswegatchie River flows into the St. Lawrence River in Ogdensburg, New York.

Last update:  July 19, 2017

Hover on any of the thumbnails to see an enlarged image

Fullerville Upper Falls

Reproduction of this World Wide Web Site in whole or in part is prohibited without permission. All rights reserved.
 Trademarks and copyrights are the property of the respective owners and may not be used without permission. is a service of Fourth Coast Creations